Friday, October 8, 2010

Moments



So much as happened since my last post and so much of that has been challenging: my grandmother died, I’ve been struggling with some family members subsequent behavior (and to be fair, they, mine) and my uncle’s fiancé Mitch (as we call her)  was diagnosed with blood cancer. Even the good stuff, such as Dave is in the last year of his R.N. degree or that we are in the adoption process, is challenging. But as I looked through the pictures for the blog, I realized that I have been allowing the big stuff to usurp the memories we had along the way. This summer Sam learned how to swim, play soccer, and shoot a bow and arrow. Every week of the summer, we spent with our cousin Claire and Co. at the West Seneca Parks Department tie-dying shirts, running obstacle courses, and making 25 cent crafts. Most every event included a cousin (or alternately Sam went with his cousins) to the beach, Renaissance Festival, Fantasy Island, the park, Erie County Fair, the zoo or to see Toy Story 3. An essay I wrote was published in the anthology Voices From the Herd: An Anthology For Buffalo, NY; I entered my first photo contest and those pictures were shown in a local gallery. I hung out with my Bestie Shannon on Keuka Lake. We laid in the sun, drank vodka, played scrabble, gossiped and watched bad movies as if it were 20 years ago and we didn’t have a care in the world. Later in the summer, Dave, Mom and I rented a cottage (and Uncle Billy rented a dock) at the South Buffalo summer bastion Sunset Beach. We had a great time launching toy torpedoes, throwing Frisbees, building sand castles, punching waves and entertaining our buddies. And then if we hadn’t drunk enough of the South Buffalo kool-aid, Billy’s friend offered us one week at his cottage free! 


Even in the midst of the difficult times, I witnessed rare moments: As Sam and I were playing Jaws and stalking Mitch and Danny along the shore, I noticed that while some people have adventures in far off places, my uncle was having his walking along the beach holding hands with his love after a round of chemotherapy. And at the hospital with my grandmother, her family paraded through her room to say their final goodbyes and then I watched as she passed away. And so I say, still in the fray of our challenges, God, it’s good to be loved and to have such memories.


There's 2 more new posts, so scroll on down.

No comments: